Tuesday 28 May 2013

Nokia 3310: From Cool Gadget to Dead Weight


Sigh! This picture of mine is now doing rounds in Facebook, much to the amusement of smartphone generation. Though it pains me a lot but can't blame them. After all the cool quotient of a gadget has a very short lifespan - barely a couple of years if one is lucky, and I count myself as one.

Nearly a decade ago I was a hot property and the darling of every dude and wannabes. My parent company Nokia ruled the airwaves and was living up to its ad slogan ‘connecting people’.

And I was the face of its success. My sleek antenna-less exterior appealed a lot to the hipsters, who were graduating out of primitive pagers. My sturdy exterior was an added plus as these teeny boppers are very careless when it comes to handling gadgets.

When I entered the Indian market, the cell phone call charges were hovering at Rs 14/minute and even incoming calls were being charged, plus the customs authorities were extracting their pound of flesh through duties. Hence the early sales reports were not very encouraging.

But once the call charges started plunging and incoming calls became free, there was no looking back. I became the most happening handset in the regular, grey and even the second hand markets. Gradually the customs duty too got reduced and the grey market began losing its sheen.

In a country where the landline penetration was abysmal and one had to wait for years to get a connection - and that too after greasing many palms, our entry was a great liberator and leveller. As the cell phone penetration started increasing I started figuring in the resale market and began entering homes where basic amenities like toilets and running water were non-existent and a landline phone was even beyond the realm of fantasy.

People ranging from students to businessmen to senior citizens started exploring my dexterity. Even those who were not well versed in English used their own ingenuity to circumvent the handicap. They used code language to store numbers on their phones. Hence it was 'BB' for wife and 'DD' for sister. Similarly they also used their ingenuity to send text messages. The 'snake' game became quite popular especially among gurkhas employed to guard the apartments. They would while away their leisurely afternoons playing the game.

My nearest competitor was Samsung R220. Though its blue backlit display gave a futuristic feel, the external antenna betrayed a dated look. It was also perceived as not so good receiver of signals and was no match to my durability. The other competitor was of course my cousin - Nokia 3315. It somehow was not as good looking as myself (honestly I am not blowing my trumpet) and though it was lighter, it had a tacky plastic feel.

My sales started plummeting once phones with facilities such as FM radio and camera, notably Nokia 6610 and 6630 and later the N-series, started appearing in the market. The emergence of Moto Razr too caused a body blow to my popularity and I got relegated as a product confined to resale market.

The entry of Blackberry and other smart phones caught my parent company on the wrong foot and things were never the same again. First we started losing out in the higher end segment but later we got reduced to an also ran player in all the segments.

Now we have become a butt of ridicule and there are many jokes surrounding Nokia in general and myself in particular. The most popular one, which figured in the social networking site Reddit, has a photo of myself and an  iPhone. The caption below the iPhone image was “Falls to the floor/Break the screen” and below mine it was “Falls to the floor/Break the floor.”
 

Also Read: Bangalore Beat

No comments:

Post a Comment